Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Career Reflection

Colossians 3:23 - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human master."

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE my job. I've been at my current job at Healthy Baller for a little over a year and it's been challenging since the start. I left a steady job with full benefits to pursue a job with no guarantees and no benefits (thanks Ashley!). Why in the world would I do that? It's no secret that I am passionate about what I do. I firmly believe God has opened doors for me and guided me to this point. I didn't pursue this field just to be another PT but to make a difference in this field.

My current job, in addition to social media has provided me with a platform to make a difference in this field. I'm now allowed to treat the way I believe patients deserve to be treated. I am not confined by surgeons, protocols, clinical environment, etc. I strive to create a brand of physical therapy that  exceeds standard practices as many practices are focused on financial gains versus patient needs. I want every patient I interact with to recognize the difference between my model of PT versus the standard model.

At most PT facilities, there is some sort of referral source with the most common being orthopedic surgeons. We don't have that luxury at our facility and have to "hustle" for every patient that comes through the door. Our primary referral source is within our own company's network of trainers and athletes. Additionally, word of mouth has been big for my growth as well. Starting from ground zero was a challenging task as I make money on each patient I treat. The first 8 months or so was so unbelievably stressful as it took a significant amount of time to build up my patient load. There would be weeks I would only be seeing six to ten patients and not making much money. There were periods of times I questioned whether I made the right decision to switch jobs and even thought about going back to my old job.

It felt as if nothing was happening even though I was working seven days a week.. I was frustrated with the lack of progress and wasn't sure what else I could do. Luckily through encouragement of friends, family and co-workers, I stuck it out and my case load started to slowly build up. Over the past 14 months I've been able to grow my brand of physical therapy. I've built up to a steady case load, have built up a decent following on social media where I can help positively influence the field on a larger scale, designed my own ACL injury reduction program, been on a couple podcasts, had a teaching opportunity and have become more reputable locally. At the end of the day, I recognize that nothing I've done is through my own efforts but rather God guiding me.

I currently still work seven days a week, five at the facility and two at home doing admin work. People have asked why I work so much and the answer is three-fold. First, I am passionate about what I do. I love helping people get back to the activities they love. Second, my parents and grandparents paved the way for me by setting an example of what hard work looks like. They immigrated here from a foreign country to restart their lives and provide better opportunities for us. It's still crazy to me how difficult that must've been but I am proud of where we came from. Third, I want to set an example for our future kids. I want them to recognize that hard work does pay off and to take advantage of the opportunities God provides.

Lastly, while I love what I do, I've been recently wrestling with finding the proper work life balance. I was getting to the point where I wasn't spending enough time with family and friends and that should never be the case. I've been making a concerted effort to find a balance and know it will take some time to do so. I am excited to see what God has in store for me as I move forward in this profession.

Below are some photos of major events that have happened throughout my PT journey this past year.

Show Your Scars podcast talking ACL Rehab - March of 2018

PT Coffee Cast talking ACL Rehab - July of 2018



I spent four months developing my own ACL injury reduction program.In August of 2018 I had the privilege of teaching my program to the Good Counsel JV and Varsity field hockey team.






In October of 2018, I had the opportunity to do a little teaching at Boston Universities DPT program. It was a special experience and I never thought I'd be in a position to teach students. 




Reached 100,000 followers on my social media account - December of 2018

No comments: